Saturday

Buying a phone at mobiles.co.uk - obvious benefits and hidden irritations

A new phone and a better deal seemed possible with mobiles.co.uk. Their O2 tariff was better than any I could find on O2 itself - besides there was 14 months half-price rental. Several snags were to emerge afterwards one of which was to want an Internet bolt-on which O2's web said was free to anyone who was on a 600 minute tariff. In fact that meant anyone who didn't buy through mobiles.co.uk. Thus £6.50 was added to my monthly bill, wiping out most of the money benefit. Automatically and as fairly warned I'd be signed up to the Tech Guys and also to mobile phone insurance. The Tech Guys sub was cancelled in one call. The phone insurance, which covers most risks except phone loss, was cancelled after another. Reminder letters continued to arrive and another call was needed to cancel it.
The half-price rental required redemption - which meant that I must remember to send my bills at 6 9, 12, 15 and 18 months or else forfeit the money. A cheque with an unexplainable amount of £39 then arrives following several emails. So by the end of this I'll have sent 5 bills and received 5 cheques and 15 emails. I am not expecting a reply to a letter asking how the rebate was calculated and I'll conclude Mobiles.co.uk is a faceless, phoneless operation. If getting a mobile doesn't require talking to someone to confirm details, I should know my stuff better before buying online with a click.

No comments: