Wednesday

Casting from Android Youtube app to Humax Freesat


... and no Chromecast or special TV appears to be needed.

A funny thing happened as I clicked to 'screencast' from my Android phone (running Lollipop). I had simply wanted to watch a YouTube video by pushing it to my Chromecast dongle plugged into the TV.

I had launched the YouTube app, clicked the Cast Screen icon at the top of the app and expected to see my Chromecast listed and then choose it to cast YouTube to the TV.
My 'funny thing' was that in addition I saw a second device labelled FS-HMX-01A-0000-****. That label I guessed was not the Chromecast but more likely my Freesat Humax HDR 1000S set-top box. So I chose this and hey presto, a Chromecast is not required to cast YouTube to the TV.

But it's only available in YouTube. This extra device, with the Humax box device ID, does not appear in any other apps when you press the cast icon. So the device doesn't appear when you use the drawer shade shortcut 'Cast Screen' nor in 'Netflix' and not even in the actual Chromecast app itself.

An explanation has yet to appear but I can surmise that YouTube may be unusually compliant. For example, if you have a Playstation 3, and run the YouTube app both on the PS3 and the phone, it's possible to pair them with a code and control the PS3 YouTube app with the phone. That's a slight gain in usefulness.

There is casting and then there's Chromecasting

'Casting' or 'mirroring' your phone on a big screen is quite the feature for social or family gatherings but you can also imagine its uses in meetings and school lessons. The industry standard called 'Miracast' has been in place for ages - it uses a wireless connection to send a copy of a phone or laptop screen (and sounds) to a TV. Of course and sadly, the sender and receivers need to be pre-registered which creates a Bluetooth-like hurdle. (Hec it's my TV.) Following this the paired devices rely on a wireless signal to send what may be a lot of data.

Most TV makers have given Miracast their own spin and branded names, possibly for self promotion but no doubt to the detriment of it 'taking off' in the public mind. Those who have tried to send from one device to another will have had success moderated by the 'standard' not being the best of standards. More a 'it might work' kind of standard.

Google's Chromecast (and possibly Apple's AirPlay too) work a bit differently. Instead of say, your phone downloading media from the Internet only to immediately send it to the TV, the Chromecast simply picks up the media from the Internet and displays it on the TV. Your phone essentially tells the Chromecast what to show and where to get it. The result by removing a hop from phone to TV provides a better experience by many accounts. The process is made possible by apps, such as iPlayer and ITV equivalents.

Playing with your phone will find a 'cast screen' command in the notification pull down shade and 'cast full screen' in some apps. Use this and you'll have mixed results because, like Miracast, you're needing to send a lot of data to the Chromecast and TV.





6 comments:

Peter W said...

Finally found an explanation as to why YouTube can 'cast' to my Humax Freesat box but other apps can't! ! Thanks. (Like you I literally came across this by accident). I don't have a chromecast but have just bought an Amazon stick as I just got Prime.
Open standards needed here. Why can't we just have a Cast protocol that everyone uses across all vendors and devices so we can just use stuff with stuff... sometimes Technology is really shite!

Roger said...

Thank you for writing. Yes why can't we? Casting is a mess.

Consider yourself a tech trailblazer - when standards arise, the rest of the world will join the party and buy. And we'll buy again.

Best.

Unknown said...

Everything has been working fine for months... until today. When I try to cast from the Android YouTube app to my Humax HDR1000S, as soon as I tell it to cast, the Freesat box just restarts. Can't cast from my laptop at all. Won't even try to connect. Frustrating!!

Unknown said...

Everything has been working fine for months... until today. When I try to cast from the Android YouTube app to my Humax HDR1000S, as soon as I tell it to cast, the Freesat box just restarts. Can't cast from my laptop at all. Won't even try to connect. Frustrating!!

Unknown said...

yes...same. 1100s reboots unless Youtube Humax app is already active.

Zenith Coupons said...

Your blog post is really very informative & interesting. Thanks for sharing. For more updates on online shopping Coupons & discount Codes please visit Photobook Indonesia Kupons